Stacks Image 2306
Stacks Image 548

Map
Directory
Route Finder

The historic streets head of in all directions from the old Market Place, with the photogenic Guildhall building in the centre.
Faversham was granted its first charter in AD 811, and the town centres on Market Square, where a market is still held. Abbey Street is the show street, restored since 1961 as part of a conservation scheme. It is named after the abbey founded by King Stephen in 1147 and destroyed at the Reformation. The houses in Abbey Street are mellowed brick and half-timbered, leading to 17th century warehouses on Standard Quay, built with reused stone and timbers from the abbey.
Number 80 is part of the abbey gatehouse, rebuilt in 1538-40 for Thomas Arden, mayor. He was murdered here in 1550 and his tale is told in ARDEN OF FAVERSHAM, a play of 1592. West Street is another rewarding street of half-timbered buildings. The church has a graceful 'flying spire', a well-loved landmark.

Whether you are looking for relaxation and the chance to unwind or for something more active including great hand's on fun for the younger family members then Kent is the place for you. With many award winning attractions featured together with the best known places to visit and many smaller less well known attractions.
Choose from enchanting gardens, historic houses, mysterious castles, cathedrals and country churches, fascinating museums, animal parks, steam trains, amazing maritime heritage and much more.
PLAN YOUR VISIT
Faversham Shopping
Faversham: With a market every Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday, Faversham remains a popular place to shop, despite its lack of many major retailers. The historic streets head of in all directions from the old Market Place, with the photogenic Guildhall building in the centre.
There are hundreds of independent retailers situated in the Kent, offering an array of worldwide brands to locally sourced products. Each and every one of them offer a customer service that just can’t be found on the high street.

Check the Faversham Directory
Faversham Stone Chapel
Faversham Stone Chapel
Faversham Stone Chapel A2, Kent, Faversham ME13 8RX Telephone: 01795 534542
For Directions see the Interactive Map
Faversham Market
Welcome to our New Faversham Farmers Market which will commence on Sunday 4th March
It will be open EVERY Sunday from 10 - 2pm.
Situated on the Standard Quay amongst the old barges on the Creek we believe we have found the ideal location to shopping !!
Plenty of free parking, local produce plus lots of other attractions. We look forward to welcoming you and all local farmers market traders.
No only is there a Farmers Market to see on your visit but also a Garden Centre, Tea Room, Antiques centre and also a Sunday Flea Market, which will include crafts and general bric a brac.
We even have a on-site upholster with 30 years experience !
For Directions see the Interactive Map
Maison Dieu
Maison Dieu is a fascinating medieval building dating to at least 1234, although it may be much older. It is traditionally held to have been founded by Henry III as a monastic hospital, but it appears that Henry merely leant his name to an already existing establishment. Maison Dieu (which translates at 'House of God') has been a Royal lodge, hospital, pilgrim's hostel, and an almshouse for royal servants. The building is now a museum, showcasing Roman and medieval artefacts found nearby.
Ospringe, Faversham, Kent, England, ME13 8NS
Faversham Dining
When it comes to eating out, food lovers prepare to be seriously spoilt for choice in Rochester, from global to local, there are a wide variety of international and English cuisines on offer in Rochester.
Check the Faversham Directory
Faversham - Cinque Port
FAVERSHAM LIMB One of three towns are the Associates of Dover. Margate, like Ramsgate was on an island in medieval times and the area is still called the Isle of Thanet. King Steven,his wife and son are buried at Faversham, a town that still retains it's ancient character.

Kent Tourism Guides & Maps - Click to View

Romney-Marsh-Churches

Royal-Military-Canal

Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway Timetable 2015

Battle_Guide

Kent Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages
Stacks Image 54592


Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) in Kent, England. In England the body responsible for designating SSSIs is Natural England, which chooses a site because of its fauna, flora, geological or physiographical features. As of 2008, there are 98 sites designated in this Area of Search, of which 67 have been designated due to their biological interest, 21 due to their geological interest and 10 for both.

Below is a "Where's the path?" link to map pages of each area of Special Scientific interest in Kent. Here you will be able to view various maps of each location including Aerial, Satellite, Dual View and even old Ordnance Survey maps with a modern day Google map overlay, Cycle routes and much more.

West Blean and Thornden Woods

West Blean and Thornden Woods, lying to the north of Canterbury, comprise a mosaic of ancient semi-natural woodland and conifer plantation within the ancient Blean Forest complex and include several rare woodland types. The area is noted for birds with over 50 species of breeding bird having been recorded The woodland also supports a diverse invertebrate fauna including 5 nationally rare** and 13 nationally scarce species. The woods are situated on London Clay and gravel drift deposits which have given rise to a range of free to poorly drained moderately acidic soils. Management within the broadleaved woodland compartments range from coppiced sweet chestnut Castanea sativa and birch Betula spp, through coppice-with-standard to high forest dominated by sessile oak Quercus petraea and beech Fagus sylvatica. Peripheral areas of more mixed coppice include hornbeam Carpinus betulus, ash Fraxinus excelsior, hazel Corylus avellana and field maple Acer campestre. About one third of the site has been clear felled and replanted with conifers such as Corsican pine Pinus nigra and Scots pine Pinus sylvestris. The high forest is characterised by a diverse shrub layer with many species typical of ancient woodlands including wild service tree Sorbus torminalis, midland hawthorn Crataegus laevigata, wild crab-apple Malus sylvestris and butcher’s broom Ruscus aculeatus. Ground flora is dominated by bramble Rubus fruticosus and bluebell Hyacinthoides non-scripta, with an abundance of honeysuckle Lonicera periclymenum and lesser periwinkle Vinca minor. Bracken Pteridium aquilinum and heather Calluna vulgaris predominate the more open acidic areas within the forest, whilst dog’s mercury Mercurialis perennis is found growing profusely on the more base rich slopes. The differing ages of the coppiced areas have given rise to a diversity of habitats that support a wealth of ground flora species including wood anemone Anemone nemorosa, hairy woodrush Luzula pilosa, wood spurge Euphorbia amygdaloides and common cow-wheat Melampyrum pratense. Permanently wet areas are common over the impervious London Clay. Associated with these are crack willow Salix fragilis, alder Alnus glutinosa, pendulous sedge Carex pendula and tufted hair grass Deschampsia cespitosa. Lying to the north of Thornden Woods are several small agriculturally unimproved pastures which provide excellent feeding habitat for invertebrates and birds. The grassland supports a diversity of plants including pepper saxifrage Silaum silaus, dyersgreenweed Genista tinctoria, meadow vetchling Lathyrus pratensis and black knapweed Centurea nigra.
Many of the invertebrates that have been found here are associated with the early stages of the coppice cycle and with other open areas in woodland. The site is a particularly important locality for the nationally rare and specially protected heath fritillary butterfly Mellicta athalia whose larvae feed on common cow-wheat. Other species that favour the more open spaces include the nationally scarce lead coloured pug moth Eupithecia plumbeolata and the pearl bordered fritillary butterfly Boloria euphrosyne. A nationally rare ladybird Coccinella distincta inhabits the nests of the red wood ant Formica rufa which are very abundant within coppice and at the edge of rides.
A small number of scarce species associated with mature timber and dead-wood habitats have been found, and two nationally scarcer water beetles Agabus chalconatus, found in shady woodland pools and Hydraena testacea, typical of flowing water are also recorded from the wood.
The wide range of woodland habitat types present within the site supports an exceptional diversity of birds, and the site has well-established breeding populations of many of the scarcer bird species found in the area. Species for which the site is particularly important include hobby Falco subbuteo, woodcock Scolopax rusticola, long-eared owl Asio otus, nightjar Caprimulgus europaeus, tree pipit Anthus trivialis, nightingale Luscinia megarhynchos, grasshopper warbler Locustella naevia, and willow tit Parus montanus.
This site also supports an important local population of the declining and specially- protected hazel dormouse Muscardinus avellanarius.
* 'A Nature Conservation Review' edited by D A Ratcliffe, 1977, Cambridge
** Listed in the Red Data Book: 2, Insects edited by D B Shirt 1987, NCC.
Where's the Path? See the link below
West Blean and Thornden Woods Maps

Queendown Warren

In the grassland and woodland of this site two nationally rare plant species occur. In addition an outstanding assemblage of plants is present. The grassland and woodland of this site are on the south-facing slope of a dry chalk valley. The grassland is largely dominated by upright brome Bromus erectus and sheep’s fescue Festuca ovina with numerous plants characteristic of grazed but otherwise undisturbed chalk grassland. Among the more interesting species are chalk milkwort Polygala calcarea, squinancywort Asperula cynanchica, horseshoe vetch Hippocrepis comosa and several species of orchids including the rare early spider orchid Ophrys sphegodes. Another rare plant present is meadow clary Salvia pratensis. The grassland is rich entomologically and two characteristic species, the adonis blue butterfly Lysandra bellargus and the rufous grasshopper Gomphocerippus rufus are found. Potter’s Wood is mainly sweet chestnut coppice with oak standards, but with beech, hazel and other species along the southern edge. The other areas of woodland and scrub are also dominated by beech, but hornbeam, hawthorn and several other species are also frequent. Dog’s mercury Mercurialis perennis, bramble Rubus fruticosus and bluebells Hyacinthoides non-scripta are the dominant plants of the woodland floor, but among scarcer species are the lady orchid Orchis purpurea and yellow bird’s-nest Monotropa hypopitys. Some former grassland has been invaded by scrub in recent years; this scrub is of mixed species, including several, like wayfaring tree and wild privet, which are highly characteristic of the chalk soils.
Where's the Path? See the link below
Queendown Warren Maps
More Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Kent
Kent Parishes

Kent Parishes
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales 1894 -1895

FAVERSHAM PARISH

Faversham, a town, a municipal borough, and a parish in Kent. The town stands on Watling Street, on a navigable creek of the river Swale, adjacent to the junction of the Margate railway with the L.C. & D.R., opposite the SE curve of Sheppey Isle, 9 miles WNW of Canterbury, and 48 from London. It was known to the Saxons as Favresfield, and to the Normans as Favreshant. It was a seat of the Saxon kings in 811, and the meeting-place of a wittenagemot, under Athelstan, in 930. It acquired much consequence from the founding of an abbey at it by Stephen and Matilda in 1147-49. It was visited by Henry VIII. in 1519, 1522, and 1545; by his sister Mary in 1515, by Elizabeth in 1573, by Charles II. in 1660, by James II. in 1688, when he was endeavouring to escape to France, and when he was seized by the sailors. The town consists of spacious and well-paved streets, but may be said to include the suburbs of Preston, Davington, and Ospringe. Its chief public buildings are a guildhall, a custom-house, an assembly room, a literary institute, a workmen's club, a cottage hospital, a parish church, several dissenting chapels, a grammar school, national schools, almshouses, and a workhouse. The guildhall stands in the centre of the town, and is supported upon pillars, and partly timbered. The assembly room stands, in Preston Street, and was built in 1848. The literary institute comprises lecture-room, reading-room, museum, and class-rooms, and was opened in 1862. The church' is cruciform, occupies the site of an ancient Saxon one, has at different times been entirely remodelled, has been subjected to thorough restoration, ' is chiefly Early English, of much size and great beauty, but has debased Corinthian character in its nave, has also a curious western tower of about the year 1800, and contains a very fine modern font of alabaster and serpentine, a number of interesting Early English paintings, three sedilia with detached pilasters, a richly-canopied Later English altar-tomb, another tomb with decorated canopy, alleged to be the tomb of King Stephen, a brass of Henry Hatche of 1533, who was a great benefactor to the town, and a mural monument of Thomas Mendfield. There were formerly in. the church a chapel of Thomas of Canterbury, and altars of Erasmus, Crispin, and Crispina. These altars were much frequented by devotees, and the persons or reputed saints to whom they were dedicated were locally held in high veneration. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury; gross value, £460 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. There is a chapel of ease in connection with the church opened in 1885. The abbey stood on ground now called Abbey Farm, was commonly called St Saviour's of Faversham, was first Cluniac, afterwards Benedictine, was the burial-place of King Stephen, his queen Matilda, their son Eustace, and many noble personages; held such rank that its abbots in the reigns of Edward I. and Edward II. sat in thirteen several Parliaments, was given at the. dissolution to Sir Thomas Cheney, and sold afterwards to Thomas Arden, the subject of a tragedy printed in 1592, is now represented only by foundations and part of a boundary wall. A Congregational chapel was built in 1865 at a cost of £3000, and is in the Second Pointed style. A mission church was erected in 1872, and a Baptist chapel in 1873. The grammar school was founded in 1527 for novices in the abbey, passed at the dissolution to the Crown, was regranted by Elizabeth, and is now managed under a scheme proposed by the Charity Commissioners. A row of almshouses, under a new scheme for the administration of Wreight's charity, was erected in 1863, includes a chapel, and cost upwards of £11,500. The income of the borough charities is over £3000. There are also some parochial charities, and there is on the E side of the town a recreation ground of 20 acres. The workhouse can accommodate 500 inmates.

The town has a head post office, two banks, and four chief inns; is a member of Dover Cinqufr port, and publishes two weekly newspapers. Markets are held on Wednesday and Saturday, and fairs on Oct. 11 and two following days. A considerable trade in corn, hops, fruit, and wool is carried on. The growth of madder, in the vicinity and at Dartford, was introduced in 1660. An extensive oyster fishery dates from remote times, and belongs to a " company of free fishermen and dredgermen" of the hundred of Faversham. An extensive manufacture of cement employs a large number of persons. Gunpowder mills were established adjacent to the town before the time of Elizabeth, exploded with dreadful effects in 1781, were rebuilt at some distance from their former site, and are now among the most important in the kingdom. An ancient quay, called the Thorn, and mentioned by Leiand, was long ago relinquished, and three new quays now in use are close to the town. The creek at the harbour has about 12 feet of water at ordinary spring tides, and the navigation of it has been improved at a cost of upwards of £30,000. Faversham is a limb of the Cinque ports. The number of vessels registered as belonging to it in 1893 was 235 (20,642 tons). The entries and clearances average 9300 (435,000 tons) per annum. The exports consist chiefly of country produce, and the imports are chiefly timber, iron, pitch, and tar, from Sweden and Norway, and coals from Sunderland. Faversham is a borough by prescription, had numerous charters, and is governed by a mayor, 4 aldermen, and 12 councillors. Population of the municipal borough, 10,478. Acreage of the civil parish, 2282; population, 10,660; of the ecclesiastical, 10,550. Hamo de Faversham, Simon de Faversham, Wilson the musician, and Bishop Herbert Marsh, were natives. Some curious chalk caverns with columns are in the neighbourhood, and were thought by Camden to be excavations by the ancient Britons, for chalk dressing.
More Kent Parishes


KENTPOI
Kent - Places of Interest | Kent - Points of Interest | Kent - People of Interest

Kent Place Names
Stacks Image 6517
If you have wandered through the Kent Downs whether on foot, by horse, bicycle or car will have, at one time or another, pondered over the meaning of place names of towns , villages or hamlets that we normally take for granted in our everyday lives. Places such as Pett Bottom, Bigbury and Bobbing conjure up all manner of intriguing images as to the activities of former inhabitants, while others such as Whatsole Street, Smersole or Hartlip appear completely baffling.
Although most place names may appear at first sight to be random elements of words thrown together in no particular order, most are surprisingly easy to decipher with some elementary grounding in Old English. Over the centuries most of the Old English words have themselves corrupted and changed to appear as we know them today.
Kent Place Names
Kentish Dialect
Stacks Image 6654
Modern Kentish dialect shares many features with other areas of south-east England (sometimes collectively called "Estuary English"). Other characteristic features are more localised. For instance some parts of Kent, particularly in the north west of the county, share many features with broader Cockney.

A Dictionary of the Kentish Dialect and Provincialisms: in use in the county of Kent' by W.D.Parish and W.F.Shaw (Lewes: Farncombe,1888)
'The Dialect of Kent: being the fruits of many rambles' by F. W. T. Sanders (Private limited edition, 1950). Every attempt was made to contact the author to request permission to incorporate his work without success. His copyright is hereby acknowledged.
Kentish Dialect
About Us
Kentpoi is a free resource.
We seek to offer our visitors something entertaining, interesting and relevant every time they visit this website.

We are constantly updating the content of this website based on the feedback from our audience.

Advertise on this website?

Target Specific Advertising

Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions

Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

Contact
Our Friends
Stacks Image 3369

Kentculture - Promoting Talent
Kentculture

Stacks Image 3373

Website designed and maintained by Themeweavers

Kent Tourism Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages